Wednesday, June 11, 2014

RSS feeds

I was devastated when I heard that Google reader was shutting down. I signed up for some new services to experiment which one would be the happiest solution. One, the Old Reader initially accepted me joining, but then they stopped providing services to new members.  They were overwhelmed and it was understandable.  They look to be accepting new signings now, if you would like to try them.

Feedly, Newsblur, Pulse, Flipboard, and Zite were all tried.

I currently used a combination of Zite and Newsblur. I have concerns about the Zite/Flip amalgamation.

I pay $2 per month for Newsblur, and it it worth it. I like the mobile and desktop version. It is easy to add new feeds, and delete ones I am no longer interested in.  In mostly delete all stories over a day old, to keep what I look at more manageable as I don't always look at it every day.

There is overlap with Zite, but I enjoy the different styles.  I really like Feedly too.  These are not my only sources of sources, of news, but they make a substantial contribution.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Ellen, I use InoReader as substitution for GoogleReader and it works well. What I appreciate most is the search function. Sincerely, Juergen
    http://www.inoreader.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous16 June, 2014

    I was also devastated when Google shut down iGoogle, so I moved to Netvibes. I have been pretty happy with it for the past year, but am even more happy now that it is available on the iPad... see my post http://librariansweb2travels.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/new-netvibes-reader-app-for-ios/ (also the link within it to how I set up Netvibes, as initially it wasn't intuitive)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a look at Netvibes - thanks for suggesting it.

      Delete