Wednesday, June 6, 2018

A few thoughts on Folk fashion: understanding homemade clothes by @AmyTwiggerH

Folk Fashion: Understanding Homemade ClothesFolk Fashion: Understanding Homemade Clothes by Amy Twigger Holroyd
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a wonderful book exploring homemade clothes, and it is an entertaining read. I read it as my commute reading and it was very engaging. It is based on research and explores making and remaking (a much better word than upcycling). The information from remaking sessions with a several knitters provides crucial information for exploring how people feel about making their own clothes.

It includes sustainability, well being and emotions about making. There is a helpful ten point strategy for supporting and encouraging folk fashion makers. These are points which libraries are well placed to deliver, and some are doing some of them. As it is important to read this book before getting to the ten point strategy, I am not going to include it here.

This books is currently held in eight libraries in Australia (based on information from Trove Australia).

This book has lead me to pull out and old jumper I used to wear and adjust (remake) the length of the sleeves, a 15 minute job and to sew buttons on a knitted vest which had been unfinished for about 15 years.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment